Medical Marijuana in New Mexico
In 2007 the People of New Mexico voted to pass the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act. The purpose of the Act is to allow the beneficial use of medical cannabis in a regulated system for alleviating symptoms caused by debilitating medical conditions and their medical treatments.
Currently, there are 16 qualifying conditions:
- Severe Chronic Pain
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Painful Peripheral Neuropathy
- Intractable Nausea/vomiting
- Severe Anorexia/ Cachexia
- Hepatitis C infection currently receiving antiviral treatment
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Inflammatory Autoimmune-Meditated Arthritis
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Damage to the Nervous Tissue of the Spinal Cord with Intractable Spasticity
- Hospice Patients
How to obtain a Medical Cannabis Card in New Mexico
- Must be a resident of New Mexico with a valid New Mexico I.D. as proof of residency.
- Obtain a copy of your medical records indicating diagnosis of a qualifying condition, as listed below, unless applying for PTSD in which all required documents can be obtained through one of our psychiatrists..
- If applying under Chronic Pain, you must have a second certification from a New Mexico pain specialist. We can help you acquire both certifications needed for chronic pain.
- If applying under PTSD, you must have medical records showing a psychiatrist’s diagnosis of PTSD. You can schedule a PTSD evaluation with one of our psychiatrists.
- If applying under Glaucoma, you must have medical records showing an ophthalmologist’s diagnosis for Glaucoma
- If applying under Inflammatory Autoimmune-Mediated Arthritis, you must have written certification from a Rheumatologist
- Obtain written certification from one of our New Mexico physicians that states you are a qualifying patient
- Once you have obtained all required documentation from our doctors certifying your medical condition you must send all required paperwork to the New Mexico Department of Health's Medical Cannabis Program.
Need more help?
Stop by our office for a free consultation! We will sit down with you and explain how the program works and how we can help you to acquire any necessary paperwork required to enroll in the Medical Marijuana Program.
Not in the Albuquerque area?
We can provide free consultation to you over the phone or via our online live help chat.
Zia Health and Wellness is a compasionate doctors' office that believes in the power of natural healing. Zia's Medical Cannabis Program can certify your medical condition and provide you with the help needed to obtain a medical cannabis registry card so that you may legally obtain, use, and grow (if PPL also obtained) medical marijuana in the State of New Mexico.